Monday, December 5, 2011

Bright Pedal Pad Installation

Parts: MP Bright Pedal Pad Kit
Tools: Prytool, Flatblade Screwdriver, Hot Soapy Water, WD-40
Time: 10 Minutes-2 Hours, depending on your luck
Installed: April 17th, 2011

Ok, cool story here.  When I picked up the Mopar 10 and had just been presented the Owner's Kit I was asked if I had any questions...big mistake, lol.

I fully expected the Bright Pedal Pads to have been in the car (they weren't), in the kit (which they weren't), or coming later with the shirt, dash plaque, and letter (which I found out wasn't happening either).  I pointed out that in the "official Mopar 10 video" the guy explicitly showcased the pedal pads.

The Chrysler rep got that look on his face and came clean that the guy that did the video wasn't supposed to showcase the pedal pads, he just kind of did.  It turns out that the six-speed Mopar 10s were to come from the factory with them, but not the auto cars...didn't make sense to me, and he couldn't really justify it either.

He tried to get them to me for free from Mopar, but I guess they wouldn't bite...locally the dealership stepped up and made it good...awesome!  A few weeks later the big, brown truck came by with the Mopar Performance Bright Pedal Pads.

The instructions say to soak them in warm-soapy water...I'll be honest, I've read that line a lot and never done it...usually a little effort goes a long way.

If you are reading this prior to installing your pedal pads I suggest you try it...

These things are a total pain to get on...or atleast the brake pad is.

The acceelerator pedal just kind of slides and clips on...The brake pad has a thick rubber surround that has to slide over the pedal.  It looks a lot easier than it is...I found that my plastic tools weren't strong enough to bend the rubber, but the metal pry tools (and screwdrivers) would tear the rubber if you weren't careful.

This isn't the best position to work in either, but if you are patient you can get it done.

Note that the MP Bright Pedal Pad Kit does not include the Parking Brake Pedal Pad.  I kind of feel like this should be corrected.  Anyone that installs these is going to be bothered that the Parking Brake is a plain, ol' rubber pad and doesn't match.  Luckily there is a fix (see here)

Anyway, let's take a look at the chage:


Factory Pedal Pads
Factory Brake Pad Removed
Bare Brake Pedal, Accelerator Pedal Pad Installed
The Tools of the Trade (Yes, all were used)
MP Bright Pedal Pads Installed

No comments:

Post a Comment