Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hood Struts

Well, within 15 minutes of DFW traffic the Mopar 10 had its' very first modification: Hood Struts.

We followed moparx2, Tony, in his 'Cuda Clone (2009 Challenger R/T) frome Huffine's in Lewisville over to Rod's parts department at Grapevine Dodge.  I wanted the hood struts and since Rod gave me a discount  I couldn't turn them down. 

I didn't expect free installation, but who can aruge with that.  We ran in to check out their Mopar 10, scanned the snake pit (7 ACR Vipers on the showroom floor), and when we walked out the gas hood struts were already on the car!

For those that don't know, this is a very easy install, especially if you've done it before.  The gas hood struts do one very important thing: they let you raise your hood and keep it up without the factory prop-rod.  I honestly hadn't seen a prop-rod in years.  All the old-school Mopars just relied on hinges as does the 01 Ram.  It is unsightly when it is up and in all honesty it kind of gets in the way (I can imagine trying to deal with it while lining up the catch-can).  Furthermore, show me one late model Challenger that uses the factory prop-rod that doesn't have paint gone from around the nesting area!  Even if you don't like the hood-struts they are a factory part and will save paint!

For those interested the Part Number is 82212094 and they set me back roughly $52.00.

This is something every Challenger should have in my opinion and it makes a great first modification...especially since it makes working under the hood much easier.

Sidenote: I did not remove the factory prop-rod.  Struts fail and if I am ever stranded I don't want to balance a hood (even if it is aluminum) off my head.  If you opt to remove your prop-rod you will have to drill out a rivet.  Just use tape and try not to scuff your paint.
Every mod I do to the Mopar 10 is something I can "go back to stock" and by keeping the prop-rod, 30-40 years down the road myself, or the current owner, can simply remove the hood struts and be back to factory correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment