Monday, July 30, 2012

Mopar 10 at the Bug Ranch

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Cadillac Ranch.  Situated just west of Amarillo, Texas on I-40 the Cadillac Ranch is a landmark and well known tourist stop.  Locals also tend to take their fill in repainting the Cadillacs, but I digress.

What most people don't know, is that there is a Bug Ranch.  I'm not sure if that is what it is technically called, but it is what I call it.  Just outside Conway, Texas (east of Amarillo on I-40), your eye might spot a strange site...If you have traversed the area and your children or passenger mentioned Volkswagen Bettles being buried half-way in the ground they were NOT joking.

It isn't as easy to spot as the Cadillac Ranch.  The bugs are about half the size, but on a more likely note, they are just off an exit ramp that has an overpass over I-40.  This means most folks are looking at the overpass (likely trying to figure out what is North or South on those roads), but if you glance to the south side of I40 on the west side of the overpass you'll see the graffitti Beetles.

I kind of like it, and since I wasn't trying to make good time and get to OKC in time to make the scheduled activities I decided to pull off and take some pics.  You'll be glad to know you are likely to have this one to yourself.  The Cadillac Ranch can go from desolate to bustling in a few minutes...This one is a bit more laid back.

Check it out and add it to your bucket list...





This definitely qualifies as a unique photo-op and you can not get your car this close to the caddys west of Amarillo.  I saw it as a fitting end to a great weekend.








No comments:

Post a Comment