Thursday, August 6, 2015

CoverCraft UVS100 Custom Sunscreen

What: CoverCraft UVS100 Custom Sunscreen
CoverCraft Part Number: UV11079BL
Fits: 2008-2014 Dodge Challenger
Sourced from: SummitRacing.com
Summit Racing Part Number: CVC-G64000B
Price: $54.64 plus Shipping

Unboxing and Overview of CoverCraft
UVS100 for 2008-2014 Dodge Challenger



Well, this was not an anticipated purchase.  Given that I drive the M10 daily for the vast majority of the year, I put a priority on landing a good sunshade back when I got the car.  I had sourced a really nice looking sunshade that was a "True Blue" color and looked great with the M10's Blue Side Stripe, you can check it out here: Sunshade Blues

Sadly, a few years of the Texas sun baked this sunshade...I'm still puzzled by that given that I've run a similar sunshade in the truck for probably 10 years now and it has never "melted" like this one did...the blue has not faded much at all.  One of those mysteries I suppose, or perhaps a lesson I should use more reflective colors...

Anyway, most sunshades are of the same quality...You can roll into any auto parts store, specialty shops, Walmart, or Target and you basically have the same sampling of sunshades.  Some prefer the pop-out boxy kind, some like the roll out (although I can't say I've ever personally known of anyone that does), and most, or at least based on what I've seen, like the accordion style that offers a bit more substance and a compact design.

Since I still  have the opportunity to protect the Mopar 10 from UV Rays (opportunities you don't have with old cars), and more importantly the fact that my current sunshade is melted after 3 or so years, I didn't want to re-order it.  The other options are of the same similar quality, but with lame color choices...I personally am just not a fan of silver sunshades for the M10.  If I had a silver, or white Challenger yes...but a bold black and blue combo needs something to compliment it!

So, thus enters the UVS100.  They are pricey, but if I factor in another sunshade at $10-20 with $10 or so in freight, I'd basically hit this price point with the second iteration of my initial purchase.  Plus, given the fact so many shades claim to be a deep, dark blue and turn out to be teal, or seafoam green is further incentive to bite the bullet and make the investment in CoverCraft's offering.



I had looked at the UVS100 when I first got the car, but they didn't offer a dark blue and I had never really had issues with the shades I'd run in the past...They held up, stored easily, and made a noticeable difference in interior temps when leaving work....The UVS100 and similar priced offerings just seemed a bit overkill.  I'd rather put the extra $30 into some other upgrades, custom work, or even detailing supplies.

However, after ordering this thing and getting it in, I can see where the extra price comes from...although I still think a $29.99-$39.99 price point would be much better and likely result in more products moving to offset the price drop.  That aside, this is rigid!



You know how you can bend, roll, or contort your typical Auto Zone sunshades?  This UVS100 is made with foam panels.  Not only are they a better insulator, but they make for a solid product.

While the generic sunshades come in small, medium, large, and even Jumbo that seem to be one-size fits all (you know, Small and Jumbo both fit your 01 Dodge Ram), the CoverCraft UVS100 is custom cut from a pattern for an OE type fit.

One really big upgrade, and a nod to the overall quality of the product, is the felt back.  It might seem minor, especially in a car like a late model Challenger but let's put this in an old B-Body with a painted dash..Would you rather have a hot and rough foil dragging across your paint, or a cool-to-the-touch rigid board with a felt backing?  Yep, made my point didn't I?  It does seem overkill, but hey...when you are paying this kind of cash for a sunshade, it is nice to see something substantial to reflect that.

Speaking of reflect, the sunshades are triple laminated and stitched...In fact, each one is made by hand!  Pretty impressive!

I opted to spend the extra $5 to get the Storage Bag.  It is just a simple vinyl-like bag that the sunshade slides into when not in use...There is no "velcro" wrap around on these shades, so the bag is nice choice.  If you are super budget conscience I don't envision one opening up in the backseat, but when you're spending $50-$75 on a sunshade, it makes sense to invest in its protection as well.

As of right now the jury is still out on longevity.  I can't imagine it NOT lasting longer than my previous shade, but we will see...I didn't think it would burn up in 3 years either.  The first day I drove to work with the UVS100 I left to a 104 degree car.  Before you panic, the car was 110 the day before and it was actually cooler that day.  I suppose the Texas sun is a pretty good measuring rod for this type of product so I will keep you posted.

The fit is fantastic though...there is a slight gap along both a -pillars, but you can keep it uniform, or simply slide to one side to close it off completely.  The top has a slight gap as well, but it is held up by the visors.  The only real point I found heat coming in was from around the rearview mirror and that is to be expected with any sunshade.

The shade either slides right into the bag, or requires me to coerce it a little, but again...this is just insurance on the investment if you will.  While stored, it disappears into the black abyss of my back seat, or passenger side floorboard.

The blue metallic I opted for sets it off very subtly.  I would have no doubt preferred a Mopar Blue, but this is alright...It is just enough to catch the eye of any car guy, or gal and let them know the shade is something special.  I hope it holds up and doesn't color fade, but again that is something I will monitor.

There really isn't a lot to say about a sunshade...you run one or you don't, you like this style or the other, and you want a certain color or are indifferent.  I think pictures would do an adequate job showing this product off, but most folks gravitate towards videos so I opted to showcase it there and for one additional reason.  Prior to shelling out $50-$75 for a sunshade I personally want to know it is worth it, or why it is priced that high.  Plus, manufacturer colors are often misleading...I could find nothing outside of promotional videos on these shades so I figured if someone was in the market for one and wanted to research it, this might help you out.

I can honestly say I don't feel ripped off, but I still think the price is a bit high...That said, the initial quality is outstanding and the fit-and-finish is top notch.  If the Mopar 10's seats last a bit longer and I don't get tattooed by the shifter handle, I reckon we've made a good decision.

If you have any questions, or would like follow up information, feel free to post up on the forum:





No comments:

Post a Comment