Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dual AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauges

If you read the post on the Razor's Edge Motorsports Dual A-Pillar Gauge Pod install, you probably knew what was coming...at least to an extent.  The correct answer is Dual AeroForce Interceptors!



You might recall how I have long complained of not having an Oil Pressure Gauge and how the Mopar 10s didn't come from the factory with EVIC, which would have been great for everyone to not only monitor vitals, but also have some fun performance wise.

I learned of the AeroForce Interceptor before I ever had the Mopar 10 and thought they were pretty cool.  When I wound up with the M10 and began looking to make up for not having EVIC, I decided to go the route of an Interceptor.

As I checked around to see if anyone had one and how they liked it I learned that no one in my circle of "Challenger" friends had them.  I couldn't figure it out.  I finally got word that the guys doing aftermarket gauges were usually doing doubles or triples with the old school approach: Oil, Water, and Volts via electric senders.  A few opted for Oil and Volts sufficing that the factory "C-H" temp gauge would do.

I checked around and they were all running adapters for the Oil Pressure Gauge.  I couldn't believe that the factory cranked out the same car with and without EVIC and that the wiring wasn't there to support oil pressure on non-EVIC cars.  Then again, I was told I couldn't swap a "stock cluster" for an "EVIC cluster" without basically rewiring the car (fly a tech in from Detroit and be without the car a few days), so I assumed it must have just been done that way.

A tech heavy source told me that the LX guys ran Interceptors on the 05-07s, but that the 2008+ cars wouldn't spit out oil pressure...bummer.

The way I do things, and how things use to largely be done was simple.  The wiring for all the bells and whistles is there: top of the line radio, fog lights, heated seats, sirius etc.  If it was an expensive piece, you just left the main run with the appropriate connector and had the consumer pick up the "harness."  Simple.  Clearly, things have changed.

I was sad to say goodbye to the prospects of the Interceptor, but always hopeful that some other option would come along.

When DiabloSport launched the Trinity I just knew I had found my work around.  One single unit to tune, monitor performance, log data, and display PIDs on a custom gauge layout.  I shot them an e-mail shortly after launch.  They said nope, no oil pressure for a non-EVIC car.

I had a hard time believing we had an oil pressure warning light, but no way to either tap into or read the ECU for the actual pressure...how else does the warning light work?

Then, about a year ago DiabloSport launched the inTune.  Sweet!  New technology and with data logging touted as one if the inTune's main features I just knew it was the answer.  Wrong.  I shot an e-mail, several actually, and got the same line as I did with the Trinity.  The inTune would not read oil pressure in a non-EVIC car.

I should mention I tried Superchips VIVID when I was also in the market for navigation...Tune, Gauges, Navigation, Android...same thing, no oil pressure.

As fate would have it, a friend informed me that his tech buddy had learned you could simply splice into the signal wire from the warning light and it would also read out pressure on a gauge.  That was about where I decided to just go that route.  Hard to justify spending the cash for a single oil pressure gauge, a volt gauge, and a water temp gauge when I'd still not have the other features I wanted.

I began (once again) scouring the net for info.  The late model Mopar forums (which I just "love" (sarcasm there folks)), had a few threads on this exact issue, but guess what?  The question either went unanswered, or the folks that might have been able to provide the solution were banned....Fantastic!

As a last ditch effort, I tried LX Forums hoping some "banned" or open minded LC owners might have migrated over there for the wealth of information.  I found a thread just a day or two old with someone asking the same question...he got an answer of "Yes...it will read oil pressure!"  Only issue?  It was from 07 and back cars and owners.  I chimed in, but no one with an 08+ seemed to see the thread.

Between mindslayer and Jim things looked great on the 07 back side of the table.  I wanted to get the M10 upgraded for CIC IV and knew the gauges would look great and give me tons of features, even without oil pressure.

I had decided to spring for the gauges and simply wire in Oil Pressure as an analog input on one of the Interceptors.  Before doing so I shot some tech questions in to AeroForce.  Todd said that he was confident oil pressure would read out on my car, but added he had never had confirmation and didn't have a car to test.

He then went out-of-the-way with an offer I could return the gauges if Oil Pressure didn't read...hard to pass that up.

Thanks to super quick shipping I had my inTune in the weekend before the gauges. I decided to try it out by logging the stock tune and then installing a tune.  When I reviewed the file I saw no oil pressure parameter.

When I was leaving work Monday I decided to log again with the inTune.  This time I decided to see what all I could log.  I skimmed the whole list and never saw oil pressure.  Then I decided to check the "Add PID" just for the heck of it.  I went to Engine and there was Oil Pressure.

I figured DiabloSport just had it there since it was a parameter that didn't read on this application...I added it and made the log.  I got home, pulled up the file, and voila...oil pressure!  How did DiaboSport not know this??  My other thought was more important...I figured if the inTune would read Oil Pressure, so would the Interceptor.

Before I even installed the Interceptors, I plugged one in to the OBD port and set it up...I saw Oil Pressure, but knew to temper expectations.  Upon firing the car up, there was my steady stream of 56-59 PSI.  Once warmed up, the car dropped back down just as it should.  I put it in gear and it dropped again.  Cycled to Park and gave it some gas...the PSI fluctuated just as it should...I was ecstatic!

It turns out everyone was wrong.  There is a ton of misinformation out there not only on forums and among enthusiasts, but among the speed shops, dealers, and factory techs with a performance mind.

I can say definitively that the AeroForce Interceptor (and inTune for that matter) will read Oil Pressure on a non-EVIC car later than 2008.  Was the 08 and 09 ECU different, I seriously doubt it.  But my 2010 sure as heck has it on board ready to view and I love it.

After 21 months of wanting to monitor Oil Pressure I am finally doing it...and doing it with style!

In addition to Oil Pressure the Dual Interceptors give me pretty much any parameter I would ever want to monitor or simply check from time-to-time.  It is incredible!

I basically got the Mopar 10 all the same features as EVIC but for a fraction of the price and in a more user friendly and custom package.

Not only does the Interceptor monitor the basics (Oil Pressure, Water Temp., Volts, Trans. Temp, Oil Temp, etc) you have access to Intake Air Temp., Command Air Fuel, Short Term and Long Term Fuel Trims, Injector Duty Cycle, Ignition Advance, Knock, MDS Status, Current Gear, and a huge list of other elements.

But that's not all!  With 2 Analog Inputs on each gauge you have the option of adding 4 more readouts, particularly things like Wideband Air Fuel Ratio or EGT if you go with a Turbo set-up etc.

However, there is still more.  Say you want a warning light to come on sooner than the factory...well, with the annunciator you can do that.  Oil Pressure below 25...Temp above 225...AFR below 12.5 with x pct throttle etc...it can all be set-up.


Oh and the gauges will read and clear DTCs.  Plus say you installed Long Tubes and eliminated the cats...you got your custom tune, but the code is still tripping, record it and clear it!  Similarly, if you decide to drop from your R/Ts 20" rims down to an 18" for the track or full time use you can adjust it via the Interceptor...same for changing rear end gears.

Speaking of custom tunes, did you know the Interceptor will record 60 seconds of run time for you to review?  Yep, full on-board data logging!

But, perhaps most important for non-EVIC cars is that we get the Performance Functions of EVIC!  Horsepower and Torque will both read out on the gauges!  The Performance Menu actually logs your 0-60, 1/8, and 1/4 mile times and mph!  This is like having the best features of the Trinity without the bulk!

The AeroForce Interceptor is truly a wonder for late model Mopars.  The only thing I'm mad about is all the misinformation and the resultant time it took from when I wanted the gauges and when I got them.  The peace of mind alone is worth the asking price, but factor in all the parameters you can monitor, the 2 Analog Inputs, ability to read and clear DTCs, bi-directional controls, data logging capabilities, and the Performance functions and you've got one heck of a piece in your car.

Installed in the Razor's Edge Gauge Pod they look right at home in the M10.  The blue background really suits the car and I should also mention the custom splash screens, gauge faces, and bezels.  You can truly customize your Interceptor and make it just right for your Mopar.

Here are some more pictures and videos:

COMING SOON!


No comments:

Post a Comment