Friday, January 15, 2016

5 Years of the Mopar 10

Another year, another milestone!

It is VERY hard to believe that 5 Years ago today, I flew down and picked up the Mopar 10...I would have rolled into town just a few hours ago.

The Mopar 10 has remained an absolute join to pilot and there have been no significant issues, although the factory tires are finally getting close to their last tread.  The car hasn't been driven as much these past few months as I have had a few projects in-line for it that have been held up by other obligations.  It got parked and treated to the black lug nuts in early September mainly due to TWO tires having nails in them.



I have never been a fan of Goodyear tires...this is solely based on my experience with the factory Wranglers on my 01 Ram.  They had the worst tread wear I have ever seen.  Looking at the mileage, 12k is about where they really started to run empty and that is about where these F1s are.

However, despite the abysmal mileage on these factory treads, I have found that they actually do hook quite well...the downside to that is they pick up rocks very easily due to the softer compound...it isn't as bad as the Mickey Thompson Indy Profile S/S tires on the Duster, but it is not far behind.

Needless to say, I am pretty sure that some point in this year I'll have to spring for some new tires.  Last I checked, F1s were very expensive, so I will likely look elsewhere, but aside from the wear rate I can't complain about these F1s.  For anyone wondering, my likely choice will be a set of Nittos.  I've had very good luck with them in the past...

Also of note, I drove the M10 home from work tonight with NO HEADLIGHTS.  I mean technically they were in there, but neither side was connected.  It wasn't dark, but it was probably within the "sunset window."  Work got out a little later than planned, but the park lights got me home (I like the sinister look just the park lights lends pretty much any vehicle).  Nonetheless, I got back with enough daylight to snap a few pics before pulling the Chally in...

Interesting enough, at this time last year I was talking about a "Bright Idea" essentially an idea to upgrade the factory headlights, which are very lackluster.  If you haven't put 2 and 2 together yet, that is exactly why the factory bulbs are out...well the passenger side anyway...and the driver's side is there, just disconnected.  As soon as time allows (possibly tomorrow?), I will get out and finish up that upgrade.  It will be a big difference and I will finally be able to see down the road.  If you have anything past a base model Challenger, you likely have better headlights than the M10.  They are just the standard halogen bulbs like the 01 Ram has.  For some reason, likely the front fascia, the light output is abysmal.  I drive a lot of back roads (see also, no street lights) and the factory headlights perform slightly better than the sealed beams the Charger use to have...or in other words, I could tape Maglites (the flashlight...no one talks about those anymore) to the fenders and have an upgrade.

Given that this is now 2016 and lighting technology has progressed big time, I find that unacceptable and took action, as promised, last year.  As with most things, plans didn't exactly go as planned with the parts...I have come across quite the situation, one which I've not seen documented anywhere.  The case in point is that components manufactured to a certain spec. are in fact not compatible.  Imagine if you needed (2) 1/2-13 x 2 1/2" Bolts for a project.  You have (1) in your stock pile and it fits great...you go to the store and buy one and it doesn't fit.  You then go to another hardware store and they sell the same one that is threaded differently.  You hit up a 3rd store and ask for a 1/2" x 2 1/2" with coarse thread...take it home and no bueno.  The bolt fits each stores nuts, but you are left wondering why your old bolt, that specs out on the thread gauge as the classic 1/2-13 threads in perfect and the "new" bolts don't.  It wasn't a bolt that gave me this trouble, but rather a connector and I've yet to get an answer from anyone.  In my opinion this is classic outsourcing coupled with a lack of quality control.  People will run into this issue over time and I'm sure across other models, but my big hope is that it is corrected at the source!

Anyway, I have found a fix and naturally, it requires the end user to modify beyond reasonable measures, the aftermarket parts...I will do just that and we will make it work.

That is all for now...I still can't believe it has already been 5 Years, but I look forward to even more time with the Mopar 10.

If you are a Mopar 10 Owner, are you on the Registry?  If you are an Original Owner, you should be, or already have hit your 5 Year Anniversary!  What did you do?  Any upgrades?  How long did your factory F1s last?  Check these links out and I hope you are enjoying your Mopar 10 as much as myself.

Mopar 10 Registry: http://www.mopar10registry.com/
Mopar 10 Forum: http://www.lonestarmopars.com/mopar10/forum/
Mopar 10 Twitter: http://twitter.com/Mopar10Registry
Mopar 10 Facebook: Click Here
Mopar 10 Forum's 5 Year Thread: 5 Year Anniversary


No comments:

Post a Comment